Like many people I don't like being left alone with my own thoughts. Unlike everyone else with this trait my thoughts are usually quite fleeting and rarely serious. It's not that I wish to avoid dark, reflective moments, I can't remember the last time I had one of those. No, the issue is that I am a social creature desperate to share moments of excitement and exasperation (usually brought on by some brush with popular culture) with a fellow human being.

Due to a distinct lack of funding tonight was one of those frustrating times when my need for interaction threatened to make me burst at the seams. Here is for why:

Firstly Anne-bloody-Widdicombe presented Have I Got News For You ruining it for everyone. Because I was by myself I turned it off, knowing that 30 minutes in the company of that dreadful woman with no suitable bitching outlet was likely to drive me potty.

Secondly James-rhyming-slang-Blunt was on Jules Holland. I like to tell people about how I worked with someone who was at Harrow and Sandhurst with him. There's no real point to the story: it's not interesting, it doesn't show me in a good light, or Blunt in a bad one. But it pops into my head whenever his name comes up and I want to get it out.

Thirdly Romy and Michele's High School Reunion was shown on E4. My two best school friends and I probably watched this film about 30 times between the ages of 13 and 15. We taught ourselves the routine to Staying Alive and danced like synchronised fools any time the N Trance version came on at a school disco. One of my friends pretended to be in love with Clarence the cowboy to cover up the lesbian crush she had on Heather Mooney (probably not something she'll thank me for recalling in a public forum... well, a forum available to the public).

And finally I found the Black Cab Sessions on the interweb. They are brilliant and deserve a post all to themselves (note to self), but I discovered them tonight, all by myself with no-one to tell about them. It was torture. In the end I sent my poor, long suffering friend Helen a Facebook message pleading with her to get onto Gmail chat so I could show her my new find. She liked it. I was sated.

*UPDATE - 24/11/07 02:16*
Twenty minutes after publishing this post, after having a wee read through the blogs I subscribe to, I find myself doing EXACTLY what I've been talking about AGAIN. What's worse is that I didn't realise it until afterwards. I even sent Helen (aforementioned long suffering friend) an email to tell her I wish she hadn't gone to bed so I could show her the exciting thing. The 'thing' this time was Caitlin Moran's blog Alpha Mummy on The Times website. I know I'm not a mummy, alpha or otherwise, but I do LOVE Caitlin Moran so I read it (she rarely mentions her children, anyway). She has just put up a jolly funny post about female defuzzing. Sample quote:

"Here's where I'm coming from, viz hair: I thread my eyebrows whilst waving a picture of Elizabeth Taylor at my threader. I thread my upper lip whilst waving a picture of Hitler, with "NO" written across it, at my threader." - Caitlin Moran

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home