The antifolk scene is a genuinely exciting place to be in the US. The New-York-based movement, which was started in the 90s, has included and influenced artists such as Major Matt Mason, Jeff Lewis, Regina Spektor, The Moldy Peaches, and Beck.

Imagine my excitement when I discovered there were two
antifolk collectives in the UK.

Of the London-based crowd, Emmy the Great was quoted in a Time Out piece as saying "They give people a chance to start out without going through the vetting procedure of the big venues." If the UK anti-folk that I have witnessed is anything to go by a bit of vetting would go a long way.

When Jeff Lewis played Cardiff as part of his tour for 12 Crass Songs, an act with the bizarre moniker 'Filthy Pedro' was shoehorned into the line up between New York street-poet Professor Louis and Jeff Lewis and his Jitters. When I spoke to him before the gig Jeff mentioned that he didn't know of Filthy Pedro and had been told they were UK
Antifolk.

They were a disaster: we were subjected to three minute songs with pseudo-intelligent lyrics clumsily referencing Greek mythology and war history. The front man - or the Nathan Barley of folk as he will henceforth be known - removed his shirt and the bass player wore a massive cuddly lobster on his shoulder for the duration of their set as visual shorthand for a personality.

Filthy Pedro created the website Antifolk UK blithely
citing himself among the UK's antifolk artists. He employs a similar lack of discretion in naming other acts. He told Time Out magazine "UK antifolk has definitely developed its own personality and the nights over here are really, really rowdy." He continues: "Some New Yorkers are even starting to say we’re doing it better." New Yorkers without ears or eyes, I presume.

DISCLAIMER: When I started this blog I promised myself that I would use it to rave about the music I love, rather than to be scathing about that which I don't, but I wasn't willing to let my objection to the purveyors of UK "anti-folk" lie. These people have incorrectly, recklessly and, my guess is, cynically purloined the term from the genuine and talented folk I admire.

*UPDATE (14-11-07)* I've written to Mr F. Pedro to ask him who the New Yorkers he mentions are.

*UPDATE (16-11-07)* He's written back (what an amenable chap) to say it's someone called
Brer Brian. Feel a tad mean for being nasty now. Still don't like his music though.


Part 2 - Brighton coming soon...

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home